Beginning last September, I joined Cheryl with Meadow Mist Designs with her Foothills Mystery Quilt Along and it is unfortunately almost done. Do you ever experience the feeling of while you are working on something you are anxious for it to be complete but when it is complete, sometimes you are sad to see it end? That’s kind of how I feel with this one. It has been fun connecting with everyone who has taken part of this as Cheryl did a lovely job with the entire QAL. I am hoping she does this more than once…. (here is to crossing fingers). I didn’t write too many progress posts about it unfortunately as late last year was super busy, but if you are curious of my thoughts, they are here:
As I stated, it has come to a near end as February was the instructions for piecing the entire top together. I would have never guessed the design to be as it is. This was most certainly kept very well a secret throughout! Job well done Cheryl!
I originally chose to stick with one fabric for each of the specified A, B and C fabric groups; however when I received the December instructions, it called for piecing together squares, which in turn would create another square that should really be ‘scrappy’ per-say. Because I didn’t know the ending design of the quilt, I began to panic within myself if I was going to have enough contrast with different fabrics and if really I should have done different greens but with a solid background and all sorts of other things questioning in my head. I also had questioned that if I were going to stick with the green squares and turn them into larger squares, I would rather purchase more of the Kona Sprout (green) fabric (of course I would be low or out of it) and cut the squares so there are less seams… but then I was back where I started and wasn’t sure if I should now add more contrast. I contacted Cheryl just for her advise in the matter and she said either one would really work. I like scrappy and thought adding a scrappy look would be nice, so off I went to put together some scrappy 4-square blocks.
I really didn’t like it when I put it up on the wall. Right away I knew I needed to change back to the solid, but then I would have all of those seams when really I could have cut just one larger square (ugh). Thank you OCD. I figured before I sewed everything together I needed to see how I liked it with the solid green color and as you have seen, I loved it. I ended up finding a true appreciation for the scrappy once all was said and done and liked how it looked, but I didn’t think it was best suited for what I was going for with this quilt top. I like that I stuck with the solid color and allowed the ‘star’ shapes to really show rather than get lost with the 4 patch square since everything else is done in one fabric.
I really love this quilt design that I actually intend to make another one… that one will be scrappy. I am not quite done with this one yet, as I would like to make it a bit bigger. I have ordered more of the Kona Sprout so once that comes in, I can get to really finishing this top. This top here was the big finish of the week, but I did accomplish some other things, as well as get spoiled more by my #beehiveswammara ladies!
I am really appreciating what WIDTW has helped me with; that I have accountability each Friday as well as what it forces me to do throughout the week or at the end of the week. I have already experienced the week of feeling I did nothing when in fact when I look back, I very much so did and this week each day I came home from work I almost had no enthusiasm to sew and when I would convince myself to hold off, in the end I realized that if I didn’t then I really wouldn’t have anything to post for my weekly link up! I am loving the benefits of this and hope to continue to grow with it and hopefully everyone else does, too!
Now that I just showed my week off, show us all something or all of what you did this week!
I am linking up to Finish it Friday with Crazy Mom Quilts and Can I Get a Whoop Whoop with Confessions of a Fabric Addict, .… Show your stuff off too!